Tima Medya

More than 28 people killed in armed attack during prayers in Nigeria’s northwest

Suspected terrorists in northwest Nigeria killed around 30 people during Friday Islamic prayers last week, local sources have told AFP.

Newstimehub

Newstimehub

17 Aug, 2026

e5f18bd9 22e8 4224 9a01 4c22ecde4cca 1785872942585 main

Suspected terrorists in northwest Nigeria killed around 30 people during Friday Islamic prayers last week, local sources have told AFP, the latest attack to hit Sokoto state.

Shamsuddeen Mai Akwai, secretary of the Kebbe local government council, said on Monday the attackers were suspected terrorists from a group known as Lakurawa, which has been linked to terrorist organisations in Mali and neighbouring Niger.

Mai Akwai said the attackers were carrying “sophisticated weapons” and attacked the village of Ungushi “while worshippers were busy observing (Friday) prayers.”

A resident of the nearby town of Kebbe, who requested anonymity for his safety, said the attacks followed the killing of four soldiers in Kebbe, also on Friday.

He said about 30 people had been killed in Ungushi. A police spokesperson put the toll at 28.

Topfiyt Dijital Platform